carcinoma of the bladder, TCC, or bladder
- In women, a pelvic exam may reveal a mass.
- An Advanced exam may reveal the
- Swollen legs
- Enlarged Liver
- Enlarged lymph glands above the
- Urinalysis may show blood and occasionally white blood cells
- Blood Urea nitrogen may be elevated
- Anemia may occur
- Urine cytology (urine checked for
- Intravenous urography (dye injected and X-Rays of bladder taken)
- CT Scan
- Cystourethroscopy -- a scope is passed from the urethra
into the bladder to look for
- Cigarette smoking
- Industrial dye exposure-textile industry, hairdressers, printers, and painters
- Industrial solvent exposure -- i.e., those who use solvents for metal, rubber, and leather
- Race may play a role -- Caucasians seem to develop TCC more than African-Americans.
- People over the age of 60 are at high risk.
- Those with a history of TCC are at
- The decision as to which treatment to use depends on the size, degree, and spread of the Bladder Cancer.
- Intravesical chemotherapy is administered by using a catheter to inject the chemotherapy directly into the bladder.
- Surgical options depending on extent of spread:
- Limited resection of the tumors in the early stages is often done through a cystoscope, which is passed through the urethra (without cutting the abdomen, as in cystectomy), and is referred to as a transurethral resection (TUR).
- Partial bladder removal or partial cystectomy
- Removal of the total bladder is known as a radical cystectomy of the prostate, seminal vesicles, and other surrounding areas.
- Radiation therapy may be administered from outside the body, or via a radioactive material placed in the tumor.
- Immunotherapy, which uses the body's own immune system (natural defense), may be used for early stage tumors.
- Chemotherapy (intravenous) -- for
- Be sure to ask your doctor, usually an oncologist (cancer specialist), to let you know of the latest research and ongoing clinical trials on new treatments, or call 1-800-4-CANCER.
If you want your friend to read or know about this article, Click here