Some of the common street names for cocaine include "big C", "blow", "nose candy", "coke", "flake", "snow", "lady", "rock", "ice", and "crack".
- "Cat", "crystal", "speed",
"bennies", "ups", "jollies", "uppers", and "dexies" are some
of the street names for amphetamine.
When cocaine (in the hydrochloride form) is treated with Ammonia or baking soda it is called "crack". Medically, cocaine is used at low doses as a topical anesthetic in some procedures, while forms of amphetamine (e.g., Ritalin, now being abused as well) are use to treat Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). These drugs can be inhaled, snorted, injected, smoked, or swallowed.
- Cocaine and amphetamines are
stimulant type drugs. In general, they cause euphoric
emotions. Medically, they affect the part of the nervous
system that "revs up" the body similar to adrenaline. They
are psychologically addictive (intensely craved), but are
not physically addictive like narcotics, such as heroin
(physical addiction means, an individual becomes ill when he
attempts to discontinue a
- Heart racing
- Dilated eyes
- High Blood Pressure
- Paranoid delusions
- Depression after
quitting or prolonged use.
- Malnutrition due to
suppression of appetite (especially with
- Urine test is best.
- Blood test not usually sensitive
enough to find these
- Bromocriptine may help craving
- Addiction treatment programs
- If addicted to these drugs, never
stop them suddenly without medical or psychiatric help.
- Do not take these drugs (at all) if you have a medical
condition or you are taking other drugs or
- Maintain airway
- Mechanical ventilation if
- Treat Coma, heart attacks, or Seizures as they
- Diazepam or Midazolam for
agitation or psychosis
- If overdose by mouth, gastric lavage (pump
stomach) and charcoal -- do not induce vomiting.
- Phentolamine, Nifedipine, or
Labetalol for elevated blood pressure (do not use pure
beta-blockers by themselves for elevated blood pressure
due to amphetamine abuse)
- Esmolol for rapid heart race/rapid heart arrythmias
(this is a pure beta-blocker so another agent must be used
to treat elevated blood pressure if this is
- Heart attacks
- Aortic Dissection
- Lung damage
- Hyperthermia (elevated body
- Fetal abnormalities
- Placental abruption
- Premature births
If you want your friend to read or know about this article, Click here